As you set your marketing strategies, take a look at the full slide deck that covers 14 of our “Big Rules of Marketing”, available on SlideShare.
Some of our clients have used this in their off-site/planning/leadership meetings. We’d be available to present it at such meetings and tell the stories that go with each one.
Big Rules of Marketing:
- Everyone likes good marketing
- Good marketing is when customers’ genuine needs meet the real capabilities of an offering
- Customers need to “Get it” and “Buy it”. The almost always “Get it”!
- The only way to make it about you is to make it about them
- If you want to change the rules, you’ll have to start with your own rules
- Two kinds of “launch” to avoid: Seinfeld launch (about nothing) and Bergman launch (I know this is important, but I don’t get it!)
- Four steps for thought leadership: Compelling vision, Existing credibility, Revenue roadmap, Roll out program.
- A vision must be inspiring and inevitable
- Competitive advantage must be indisputable, easy to understand, hard to copy
- Messages should be intuitively linked to benefit and easily supported by features
- Rules of naming. Orion Marketing has a formal naming methodology that has worked very well in real life situations. We cover three attributes here.
- Customer references. Likewise, Orion Marketing has a workshop on building an effective Customer Reference Program. Here, we talk about top 3 customer types.
- Lead with one message.
- Top 3 requirements of good marketing? Understand the customer, Understand the product, Understand the competition, …
Do these match your observations?
We’d love to get your feedback, and let us know if you’d like the PowerPoint/Keynote slides.
Shahin focuses on strategy, emerging technologies, positioning, and has been Interim CMO for several companies as part of OrionX engagements.